I love chocolate and eat it almost everyday. So it was much to my delight when one of my favorite books, The Sunfood Diet Success System by David Wolfe, brought to my attention the marvelous powers of cocoa (the basis of all chocolate). In fact, raw cocoa is one of nature’s most nutritious foods.
Cacao literally means the ”food of the gods” and has been used for centuries in Central America to treat pain, fever, and coughs.
- It appears to have the best source of magnesium of any food, which helps to keep our heart healthy, bones strong, wards off constipation, and balances our brain chemistry to keep us happy. Making magnesium the likely reason why most women crave chocolate during that time of month. Furthermore, the average American diet is highly deficient in magnesium but cocoa has enough magnesium to help reverse this problem.
- Raw cocoa perhaps has the highest concentration of antioxidants of any food in the world. Antioxidants are powerful chemicals that help protect our cells from damage and keep us looking and feeling young. By weight raw cocoa has more antioxidants than red wine, acai, pomegranates, and goji berries combined!
- Raw cocoa improves our mood. Besides being high in magnesium, raw cocoa contains anandamide, phenethylamine, tryptophan, and serotonin. All of which help to keep our spirits high and our stress low.
- Raw cocoa also appears to have the best natural source of iron (keeps our blood healthy), chromium (balances blood sugar), and theobromine (improves cardiovascular health).
Literally the list could go on and on. But there is a catch – you are NOT going to find these fabulous benefits in just any piece of chocolate or candy bar. Most of the astonishing benefits of cocoa are lost when the cocoa bean is cooked, refined, or processed. So buy raw organic cocoa products if you want to get your chocolate fix along with the numerous benefits this “food for the gods” has to offer.
- organic cocoa powder
- organic cocoa butter
- organic cocoa beans
- organic cocoa nibs (delicious to throw into cereal)
And make sure to try out my delicious raw chocolate sauce.
Talk to you soon!